Director of FitFull time | Design
Job Title: Director of Fit
Reports to: Creative Director, Product
Location: Ventura, CA
The Director of Fit is the guiding eye for Patagonia’s vision of fit standardization, leading a consistent viewpoint while ending subjective and varying execution. The Fit Director will lead product groups to achieve proper balance of comfort, functionality and sizing standards while maintaining the integrity and spirit of aesthetic fit. The position is directly responsible for the continuous improvements in fit returns and technical fit alignment among direct reports and cross-functional partners. In addition, they are the link to all fit and sizing communication to key stakeholders, executive team, marketing, e-commerce and customer service centers.
Essential Job Functions
- Excellent leadership and teaching skills. Must be comfortable in taking accountability to own technical fit direction for complex and diverse products.
- Persuasive personality with an extensive background in grading and fit block creation, patternmaking and production experience.
- Lead and create brands DNA concerning fit and design intent, and ensuring internal communication is clear.
- Set fit and grading direction for scale and production.
- Coordinate workloads, priorities, and timelines around company strategies and team level initiatives
- Ability to effectively build and present board meeting presentations on the subject of Fit and Quality to the executive team.
- Primary mentor and coach for patternmaker and fit manager which demonstrates excellence in service, skillset, communication and strategic planning.
- Work collaboratively with Design and Product Development Directors to structure seasonal workloads and pattern making resources.
- Partner with Research and Development team to identify key projects which require pattern work outside the normal development timeline.
- Experience working across all product categories, including Fish, Field, Swim, and Children’s product.
- Experience in all aspects of grading, pattern making and marker efficiencies.
- Global knowledge on appropriate fits per market
- Support Patagonia’s environmental philosophy.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, color and peripheral vision as well as depth perception.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to look at a computer screen for extended periods of time.
- Ability to maintain a composed and professional demeanor within a flexible and (at times noisy) work environment.
- Must be able to travel internationally and domestically utilizing various transportation methods.
Minimum Job Qualifications
- 7 years’ experience in pattern making and grading.
- Comprehensive knowledge of apparel fit standards and industry best practices.
- 10+ years of executive management experience leading teams.
- Strong software use skills including in-depth knowledge of Tukacad or equivalent pattern grading software as well as Microsoft Office applications (Excel and Outlook), and aptitude to quickly learn new tools.
- Extreme attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong mathematical skills.
- In-depth knowledge of pattern and sewing construction.
- Able to multi-task and prioritize.
- Knowledge of sewing construction.
- Ability to visualize product concepts.
- Computer illustration skills - Adobe Illustrator®
- Ability to communicate effectively- both verbal and written - with a wide variety of people.
- Possess excellent problem-solving skills.
- Must be both a team player and be able to work independently.
- College degree in patternmaking or equivalent in industry experience.
- Knowledge of marker making and pattern grading a plus
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.