THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW PATAGONIA EUROPE COÖPERATIEF U.A. (“PATAGONIA,” “WE,” OR “US”) COLLECTS, USES, AND SHARES PERSONAL DATA COLLECTED THROUGH THE PATAGONIA ACTION WORKS WEBSITE LOCATED AT EU.PATAGONIA.COM/ACTIONWORKS (THE “SERVICES”).
- What personal data do we collect, for what purposes and on what grounds? Through the Services we collect several types of personal data. The type of personal data we collect and use depends on the nature of the relationship that you have with us:You are a member of the public (“Participant”) and would like to be informed about a grassroots environmental organization that we support (“Grantee(s)”), sign a petition, or have an interest in volunteering or making a donation through the Services:Depending our processing purposes, we may collect your name, email address or certain usage information from your browser or device when you visit the Services. Usage information may include IP address, location information, browser type, date and time of your visit, your activity on the Services, or a device identifier from a mobile device. We also maintain logs of emails we send you and emails you choose to send to Grantees through the Services.We use your personal data for the following purposes:
- To send you Patagonia Action Works e-mail alerts after you have opted in to receive it. You may opt-out at any time by clicking on the opt-out link in the footer of the e-mail alert;
- To help us understand what your environmental interests are so that we can tailor the experience of the Services to your interest, including sending you targeted advertising about environmental activism opportunities you may be interested in;
- To respond to queries that you may have and expressed to us using the Contact information that is provided on the Services;
- To debug emails that we send you or that you send to Grantees as described above;
- To protect against fraud and other unlawful activity;
- To facilitate your interactions with the Grantees listed on the Services;
- To send you confirmation emails that the donation you made to your designated Grantee(s) through the Services has been received; and
- For specific purposes that we will disclose to you at the time we collect the information.
We will also share your full name and amount of your donation to Grantees to whom you have made a donation only when requested by them to the extent that the use of your full name and donated amount is reasonably required for the Grantees to act in accordance with statutory obligations that are applicable to them. In these situations, we will oblige Grantees to not use your personal data beyond the use that is required to act in accordance with their statutory obligations.
Our processing grounds for the processing that we undertake are your consent, steps that we need to take on your request to enter into a volunteer agreement with any of our Grantees or to make a donation to your designated Grantee(s) and to enable them to comply with applicable statutory obligations, and our legitimate interest in communicating about our environmental efforts to you.
When you sign a petition or participate in a campaign, the personal data is directly provided by you on the concerned Grantee’s website. We are not responsible for any processing of personal data by these organizations.
When you make a donation, your credit card information is not processed by us but by our payment provider. Our Donations Terms & Conditions are available here. Our only role in donations made through the Services is to send you an email confirming receipt of your donation, as mentioned above.
You are a Grantee representative:
When your organization signs up to participate in our grantmaking process on our grant page at CyberGrants.com, you submit personal data to CyberGrants. We collect some of that personal data from CyberGrants. The personal data that we collect are: organization name, first name, last name, title, e-mail, phone number, city and country. We also maintain a record of your activities on the Service by means of your account.
We use your personal data for the following purposes:
- Enabling you to set-up an account on the Service so that the Grantee that you represent can make use of the functionality that is provided by the Service;
- To help us understand how you use the Services so that we can improve it and make sure it meets your needs;
- To respond to queries that you may have and expressed to us using the Contact information that is provided on the Service;
- To protect against fraud and other unlawful activity;
- To facilitate your interactions with potential volunteers; and
- For specific purposes that we will disclose to you at the time we collect the information, such as setting up the account of the Grantee you represent with Worldcoo so it can receive donations sent through the Services. Worldcoo is a social corporation who acts as an intermediary between donors and Grantees.
Our processing grounds for the processing that we undertake are our performance of the grant agreement and our legitimate interest in communicating about our environmental efforts.
- Storage period of personal data. If you are a Participant, we will retain your personal data for as long as you have not opted out to receive emails from us. If you are a Grantee representative, we will retain your personal data for as long as the Grantee you represent has an account or as otherwise necessary to provide that Grantee with the Services. We will maintain email logs for a period of 30/60 days after the date of transmission of the e-mail.We will also retain your personal data as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements. Where we no longer need to process your personal data for the purposes set out in this notice, we will delete your personal data from our systems. Where permissible, we will also delete your personal data upon your request; information on how to make a deletion request can be found in the section “Your rights and withdrawal of permission” below.
- Your rights and withdrawal of permission. You have the right to opt-out of the use of your personal data by Patagonia for our alert mailing at any time. You may do so by either clicking the unsubscribe option at the bottom of each email or by making a request to us through our data subject access request portal located here.You also have the right to request an overview of your personal data processed by Patagonia, object to or restrict its processing, and request removal or correction if your data appears incorrect or irrelevant, by making a request to us through our data subject access request portal located here. Please note that if you request the removal of or restrict the processing of some or all of your personal data, we may not be in able to adequately perform the Services or respond adequately to your queries.In addition, you have the statutory right to complain to a competent data protection authority in your country of residence.
- Providing and sharing your personal data.
Our Group Companies. Patagonia employees, including some employees based in the United States, may have access to your personal data. Access rights of our employees are limited and granted only on a need to know basis, determined based on their job functions and roles.
Services Providers and Other Third Parties. We will share personal data of Grantees’ contact persons with CatchaFire, Inc in the United States. They provide the platform which links Participants to Grantees. More information about CatchaFire, Inc. appears in the section “Transfers outside the EEA”.
Patagonia may also share your personal data with other third parties including workflow software suppliers, platform providers, granting application providers, donations intermediaries, payment processors, email service providers and e-mail form (pop-up) providers. We will also share your full name and amount of your donation when requested by Grantees to enable them to comply with applicable statutory obligations as mentioned above. We use the services of these third parties to host the Services, to store personal data collected on the Services, to enable our email communications to you or for email communications between Participants and Grantees using the Services, to post information on the Services, to process donations made by Participants using the Services and to facilitate the payments of those donations to Grantees as described in our Donations Terms & Conditions. To the extent that such third parties are data processors, they are contractually bound by Patagonia to only process data in accordance with Patagonia’s instructions and applicable legal requirements. For transfers of data to third parties outside the EEA, please see below.
- Transfers outside the EEA. The Services are hosted in the United States by a service provider of Patagonia All transfers of personal data to Patagonia’s processors are either subject to EU Standard Contractual Clauses or such processors are EU-US Privacy Shield-Certified. CatchaFire’s platform is hosted in the United States. When you register as a volunteer with CatchaFire, you are saving your personal data directly on its platform in the United States. CatchaFire is an independent controller under the GDPR. Their privacy notice can be found here.
- Links to third party websites and social media. Users may access content on the Services that link to the sites of CatchaFire, Grantees or other third parties. Patagonia does not control the content or links that appear on these sites and is not responsible for the practices employed by websites linked to or from the Service, except for official Patagonia campaigns. In addition, these sites or services, including their content and links, may be constantly changing. These sites and services may have their own privacy notices and customer service notices. Browsing and interacting on websites which have a link to the Service is subject to that website’s own terms and notices.
- Children. The Services are not intended for children under the age of 16, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 16.
- Changes to this privacy notice. Patagonia may update this privacy notice at any time. When Patagonia does, Patagonia will revise the date at the bottom of this page. Patagonia encourages you to frequently check this page for any changes to stay informed about how Patagonia is helping to protect the personal information Patagonia collects.
- Contacting us. For questions about this privacy notice or the practices of the Services, you can contact:
Patagonia Europe Coöperatief U.A. at Jollemanhof 11, 1019 GW Amsterdam, The Netherlands or via email at email@example.com.This document was last updated on January 31, 2020.